In my work as a lawyer, consultant, and entrepreneur, I enjoy building and expanding companies. In my past, I served eight years as a Hawaii State Representative; owned a Hawaiian/island themed Internet retail business for ten years; served four and a half years as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney and Legislative Liaison for the Department of the Prosecuting Attorney, City and County of Honolulu; and produced political, cultural, and music events since 2002.
As in-house counsel and consultant under JRK Enterprises, I advocate for entities that need new or amended rules, regulations, and/or statutes by drafting legislation, resolutions, and/or proposals, followed by written and oral testimonies before government bodies. I also assist companies with government incentives, special revenue bonds, government applications, government permits, public and private grants, proactive legal defense strategies, product and services development, social media branding and marketing, SEO, media affairs, and public affairs. Further, I review, draft, and negotiate business agreements and documents.
I recently launched Positive Masters, an e-commerce store at http://www.positivemasters.com that provides lifestyle practices, creative writing, books, apparel, and accessories to boost your happiness and crush any of your stress, anxiety, and depression.
I’m a partner in a start-up aviation fixed-base operator in Hawaii, which we plan to break ground in 2020 and launch services in 2021.
I’ve written a paranormal, romance, and suspense novel based in Hawaii during the mid-2000s that has been copyrighted and placed on hold for release. I recently finished writing my second novel, a young adult, historical, romance, and suspense story based in Iraq during the U.S. occupation and insurgency period of the Iraq war. I’m currently pitching this book to literary agencies.
Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D. 2001
University of Hawaii at Manoa, B.A. 1997
Pearl City High School, 1992
President, Positive Masters, May 2019-Present
Positive Masters is an online store at www.positivemasters.com that provides happy products and services for you such as lifestyle practices, creative writing, books, art, apparel, accessories & fashion to support your vision of conquering you stress, anxiety, sadness, and/or anger, and mastering a happy and fulfilling life! Just as mantras chanted by Buddhist monks help them to live positive lives, the words and designs on our products can serve as your mantras to guide you in living joyful lives!
Like the Positive Masters before us, you too can attain the highest level of peace and happiness through your daily practices in developing a positive mindset, a healthy body, positive relationships, and financial peace, what we call the 4 Pillars of Happiness. At Positive Masters’ blog at www.positivemasters.com, we share practical and motivational content relating to these pillars of happiness that you can apply to your life to maintain your highs and lift you up during your lows.
On the Home page at www.positivemasters.com, feel free to subscribe so you can become a member of the Positive Masters Club to receive discounts and updates of upcoming products exclusive to members only.
Positive Masters is a boutique company and brand based in Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A. We create our own graphic designs and have printing and fulfillment partnerships that has operations in Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.A and Riga, Latvia, Europe. As a small business, we print on demand, therefore, our printing, packaging, and shipping take about 7 to 12 days to complete an order. With this process, our costs are higher per item, thus, we price our merchandise comparable to other boutique fashion brands. We offer free shipping for purchases of $50 or more!
Attorney at Law, Nov. 2001-Present
In-house counsel under JRK Enterprises LLC. Review, draft, and negotiate business agreements and documents such as but not limited to operating agreements, by-laws, articles of organization, articles of incorporation, business plans, letters of intent (LOI), nondisclosure agreements (NDA), noncircumvent agreements, noncompete agreements, memorandum of understanding (MOU), business proposals, business counteroffers, capital agreements, investment agreements, subscription agreements, business purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, promissory notes, commercial leases, consulting agreements, independent contractor agreements, employment agreements, event agreements, promoting agreements, art/logo design agreements, and licensing agreements. I also help companies acquire copyrights and trademarks.
– Reviewing and Drafting Commercial Leases, 2015-Present
– Reviewing and Drafting Business Contracts, 2015-Present
– Negotiating Contracts, 2015-Present
– Government Permit Applications, 2014-Present
– Drafting Rules and Laws, 2002-Present
– Testifying before the Hawaii State Legislature, 2010-Present
– Legal and Legislative Research, 1998-Present
– Negotiation, mediation, and arbitration, 2016-Present.
– Litigation in Criminal Law, 2011-2015
President, JRK Enterprises LLC, Aug. 2002-Present
JRK Enterprises LLC started in Aug. 2002 as an Internet retail company under dba IslandStyleHome.com, selling Hawaiian & island-themed products, & ended its services in Jan. 2012. In Jan. 2014, the company changed into a law, business development, government affairs, public affairs, communication & marketing company, starting with its first partner, GEKD, Inc., a music events production company. JRK Enterprises LLC provides its services for companies in consideration for payments as a consultant or equity in the companies it provides services to as a member, partner, or shareholder. It has worked w/ companies involved w/ development, aviation, business coaching, toys, agriculture, tourism, food & beverages, music events, & realty.
Government Affairs/Public Affairs
– Draft legislation, resolutions, & proposals, followed by written & oral testimonies before government bodies.
– Assist companies w/ government incentives, special revenue bonds, government applications, government permits, & public grants.
– Community outreach.
– Review, draft, &/or negotiate business agreements & documents such as but not limited to operating agreements, by-laws, articles of organization, articles of incorporation, business plans, letters of intent (LOI), nondisclosure agreements, noncircumvent agreements, noncompete agreements, memorandum of understanding (MOU), business proposals, business counteroffers, capital agreements, investment agreements, purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, promissory notes, commercial leases, consulting agreements, independent contractor agreements, employment agreements, events agreements, promoting agreements, & art/logo design agreements.
Communications & Branding
– Draft & release media advisories & press releases.
– Coordinate press conferences.
– Draft content for print media, social media, & websites.
Partner, AV8 Partners LP, Oct. 2015-Present
Fixed Base Operator
– Holding entity of Keahole FBO LP and Keahole FBO I LLC.
– AV8 GP LLC is its general partner.
– Developing hangars and fuel farm. Groundbreaking is targeted for 2020.
– Fueling and maintenance of private jets.
– Aviation-related services.
President, Jodo Mission of Hawaii, May 2006-Present
President of the Board of Directors of Jodo Mission of Hawaii (2011 – Present)
First Vice President of the Board of Directors of Jodo Mission of Hawaii (2006 – 2011)
Chairman of the Bishop Nomination Committee of the Council of Jodo Missions of Hawaii (2007 – Present)
Member of the Hawaii Buddhist Council (2011 – Present)
Secretary of the Hawaii Buddhist Council (March 7, 2017 – December 31, 2017)
Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, City and County of Honolulu, Nov. 2010-Apr. 2015
– Legislative Division, 2010-2015
– Domestic Violence/Juvenile Offender Division – Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Unit, 2013-2014
– Misdemeanor/Traffic Division, 2011-2014
Representative, Hawaii State House of Representatives, Nov. 2002-Nov. 2010
District: Waikele, Royal Kunia, Village Park, and Waipahu.
Lawmaking; capital improvement projects; grants; and community relations.
Hawaii State House Leadership Positions
– Chair of the Judiciary Committee (2008 – 2010).
– Majority Whip (2004 – 2006, 2008).
– Vice Chair of the Water, Land, Ocean Resources & Hawaiian Affairs Committee (2008).
– Vice Speaker of the Hawaii State House of Representatives (2006 – 2008).
– Chair of the Economic Development & Business Concerns Committee (2005 – 2006).
– Vice Chair of the Tourism & Culture Committee (2002 – 2005).
Hawaii State House Committees
– Judiciary Committee (2005 – 2006, 2008 – 2010)
– Consumer Protection & Commerce Committee (2005 – 2006, 2008 – 2010)
– Finance Committee (2002 – 2005, 2008)
– Water, Land, Ocean Resources & Hawaiian Affairs Committee (2008)
– Energy & Environmental Protection Committee (2008)
– Legislative Management Committee (2006 – 2008)
– Tourism & Culture Committee (2002 – 2006)
– Economic Development & Business Concerns Committee (2002 – 2006)
– Agriculture Committee (2002 – 2006)
Teacher, Kyoiku Juku Ltd., June 2002-Oct. 2002
Tutor children ages four to eleven English and math.
Legislative Assistant, Hawaii State Senator Carol Fukunaga, Jan. 2002-May 2002
Legislative research and writing; and community relations.
Clerk, Kapiolani Women`s Center, June 2000-Aug. 2000
Organize medical records.
Law Clerk, Corporation Counsel, City and County of Honolulu, June 1999-Aug. 1999
Legal research and writing.
Legislative Assistant, Hawaii State Representative K. Mark Takai, Aug. 1997-May 1998
Legislative research and writing; and community relations.
Service Representative, Duty Free Shoppers Hawaii, June 1992-May 1996
Verify and deliver Duty Free Shoppers Hawaii merchandise to customers departing oninternational airline flights.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS:
Hawaii State Bar License, Hawaii State Bar Association, Nov. 2001-Present
Real Estate License, State of Hawaii, 2007 (Inactive)
Jodo Mission of Hawaii, 2006-Present
– President, 2011-Present
– Vice President, 2006-2011
Hiroshima Kenjinkai, 2009-2015
Yamaguchi Kenjinkai, 2010-2015
Honolulu Japanese Chamber of Commerce, 2004-2012
Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii, 2004-2012
Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation, 2010
Peace Day Hawaii Committee, 2007-2010
– Chair, 2007-2009
Waikele Elementary School, School Community Council (SCC), 2008-2010
Waipahu Business Association, August 2004-2010
Waipahu Community Association, 2003-2010
Waipahu Community Response Plan, 2002
Youth Leadership Counselor, 2001
Phi Alpha Delta, Gonzaga University School of Law, 1999-2001
Women’s Law Caucus, Gonzaga University School of Law, 1998-2001
Pearl City Neighborhood Board No. 21, 1997-1998
– Chair of the Health, Education, and Welfare Committee, 1997-1998
Assistant Teacher, Ethnic Studies 330, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1997
Honolulu Japanese Junior Chamber of Commerce (HJHCC), 1996-2012
Young Democrats of Hawaii, 1996-2010
Associated Students of the University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1996-1997
– Vice President, 1997
– Senator, 1996-1997
American Marketing Association, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1994-1997
Sigma Lambda, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1992-1997
Troop 75 and Team 75, 1981-1992
– Eagle Scout
Legislator of the Year, Hawaii Medical Association, 2009
Champion of Small Business, The National Coalition for Capital, 2008
Forty Under 40, Pacific Business News, 2007
Legislator of the Year, University of Hawaii Professional Assembly, 2006
Center for Women Policy Studies’ National Honor Roll of State Legislators, 2004
Flemming Fellows, Center For Policy Alternatives, 2004 Class
Western Legislative Academy, Council of State Governments-West, 2003 Class
Bouquet of Flowers for Good Government Deeds, Hawaii Pro-Democracy Initiative, 2003
Top 30 Under 30, Honorable Mention, PoliticalCircus.com, 2002
Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, Troop 75 & Team 75, 1992
Honorable Mention for Soccer, Hawaii High School Athletic Association, 1992