This beautiful orchid was given to me as a gift for one of the opening of the Hawaii State Legislative sessions when I served in the Hawaii State House of Representatives from 2002 to 2010. It’s the last of the many flowers and plants gifted to me back then. My dad has been caring for it since I live in a townhouse on the second floor. It’s vibrant and thriving!
I love experiencing the moment when the glow of the setting sun make the clouds pink with the blue sky as a backdrop! These are pleasures that I didn’t fully embrace when I was younger. Whenever I’m outdoors, I take some time to breathe the fresh Hawaiian air and admire the beauty of Hawaii around me. It lifts my spirit everytime.
Fade out or keep going? What are we chasing after in this competitive and sometimes cruel world? Money? Power? Fame? When you reach it, you get attacked by others and punished more severely. Is it worth it? I think most of us want to be happy and at peace. There’s something beautiful in fading out from the craziness of society to be with your own soul in a peaceful and quiet life. Maybe live a simple life near the ocean or up in the mountains. It sounds so nice to meditate, read, research, write, create art, produce content that helps others, build a service for others using technology, and only hang out with those who lift your spirit. I’m not saying to completely cut ourselves off from the world. We could still continue our hustle to create value for others from afar, only coming back to society for our loved ones and for our most passionate projects. Do you feel this sometimes? If this was possible would you try it?
This is a picture of the sunset in Waikele, Hawaii on 2/19/19.
I enjoy the beauty of clouds! Since I’m always walking to places, I often look up at the sky. Here’s one I took a picture of as I walked to Waikele Premium Outlets @waikelepo , heading to Starbucks @waikelestarbucks to work on 2/5/19. I like the contrast of light and shadows off of the white clouds before a backdrop of blue skies! It’s so soothing for our soul.
3. Eat a balanced diet.
5. Mindfulness – Always be aware of all the wonderful things.
6. Non-attachment – Don’t let my emotions for people, things, and events affect me negatively.
7. The glass is half full, not half empty – Look at the positive things.
12. Meditate – Zen (clear my mind).
13. Meditate/Pray – Send love to others.
14. Listen to Music.
15. Sensory Therapy – Hot or cold shower; Massage; lemon scented cologne; and vanilla and lavender scented candles
16. Outdoor Therapy – Ocean Therapy is my favorite.
17. Visualize my goals.
18. Vision Board – Pinterest, computer wallpaper, and/or on wall.
19. Schedule my daily goals for work and play.
20. Write and update my yearly goals.
21. Write and update my lifetime goals.
22. Count my wins daily.
23. Spend time with loved ones.
24. Be around positive people.
25. Make new friends.
26. Law of Attraction – Perform positive actions and I will attract positive things.
27. Follow my passion.
28. Visualize my ideas and how they could work.
29. Write down my ideas.
30. Share and give away my ideas.
31. Provide value for others.
32. Create services and products that solves problems.
33. Disrupt the market – Don’t just blend in with the market, but do things differently to make it better.
34. Do the work and learn everything I can about my business.
35. Learn for my personal enjoyment.
36. Better old skills and develop new skills – 10,000 Hours Rule (Practice)
37. Read fiction and nonfiction.
38. Watch documentaries and educational videos.
39. Watch inspirational movies.
40. Write fiction and nonfiction.
41. Learn from my mentors and virtual mentors.
42. Use the energy from negative experiences to motivate me to work on my goals.
43. Move forward on my goals every day. On challenging days, I ask myself, “What are one or two things I can do to make me feel good and accomplished for the day?” Then I execute.
44. Tell a story to get 1,000 true supporters.
45. Be authentic to get 1,000 true supporters.
47. Reward my wins.
I update my practices as I move forward in my life, thus, I will post an updated list of my practices when I adjust it. Have a great and peaceful life!
Like many of you, I strive for things that have a great amount of uncertainty that create anxiety and stress. I wish I was a superhuman, immune to such feelings but I’m not. So I make an effort on overcoming anxiety and stress with many practices like gratitude, mindfulness, win-win thinking, exercise, balanced diet, writing, music, nature, time with positive people, sensory therapy, meditation, and such. Whenever I work on any of my goals that has a high risk of losing time and money such as elected politics, business projects, and fiction and nonfiction books, I try to mitigate my risk with research, strategy, and hard work, but no matter what, a degree of uncertainty will always exist.
To alleviate my anxiety on the uncertainty, I practice win-win thinking or positive thinking by telling myself, “When I invest time and money into a project I’m passionate about, at worse, I get a higher education like attaining another college degree. At best, I get a return on my investment on top of my education!” By looking at my goals in this manner, I see the outcome as a win no matter what the outcome because my time and money are used towards bettering myself in gaining more knowledge, skills, and relationships, but if I succeed, I can get a higher education and make a living out of what I love! Stay positive everyone!
Here’s a picture from my short 2.77 mile run along the coast of Ko’olina on 5/15/2017. After my run, I swam the length of Lagoon 4 six times. Exercise and being in and near the ocean is helpful in alleviating stress and anxiety. I’m grateful to live in Hawaii.
JON RIKI KARAMATSU · My passion is promoting inner peace through my brand +positive masters+ located at www.positivemasters.com . +positive masters+ provides life practices, creative writing, books, apparel, accessories and fashion to boost your happiness and counter any of your anxiety and sadness. In my work as a lawyer, consultant, and entrepreneur, I enjoy building and expanding companies. In my past, I served eight years as a Hawaii State Representative; owned an Internet retail business for ten years; served four and a half years as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney and Legislative Liaison for the Department of the Prosecuting Attorney, City and County of Honolulu; and produced campaign, cultural, and music events since 2002. As a lawyer, I advocate for entities that need new or amended rules, regulations, and/or statutes by drafting legislation, resolutions, and/or proposals, followed by written and oral testimonies before government bodies. I also assist companies with government incentives, special revenue bonds, government applications, government permits, public and private grants, proactive legal defense strategies, product and services development, marketing, public affairs, and media affairs. Further, I review, draft, and negotiate business agreements and documents. Every so often, I help clients in settling disputes through negotiation, mediation, and/or arbitration. Further, I'm a partner in a start-up aviation fixed-base operator company in Hawaii, which we plan to break ground in 2019. I enjoy creative writing as well, completing a paranormal, romance, historical, and suspense novel based in Hawaii during the 2000s that has been copyrighted and is being shopped around for representation. I'm currently writing my second novel, a historical, romance, and suspense story based in Iraq during the U.S. occupation and war.